We’re writing the future of risk.
Hamilton Insurance Group, Ltd. (“Hamilton”) is a Bermuda-headquartered company that underwrites specialty insurance and reinsurance risks on a global basis through its wholly-owned subsidiaries. Hamilton leverages analytics and research to create underwriting and investment value for its clients and shareholders.
We’re looking for a
Global Software Development Manager
Reporting to the Head of IT & Engineering and based in Dublin, this newly-established position will be a key technology leader for our application development efforts across multiple lines of business, including internal team applications and soon-to-be-built customer-facing web propositions with vendors.
The ideal candidate will possess strategic vision and tactical mastery. You will also be a hands-on technologist who has the capability to understand complex specialty insurance/reinsurance systems. You will be able to balance the rapid pace of technology change with strong hands-on programming and an expert ability to manage client relationships, including working closely with the business and technical teams/vendors.
What you will do
- Provide world-class software development and leadership.
- Build a strong internal and external team of software developers who are passionate about problem solving.
- Build best-in-class software products by combining internal and vendor-based platforms.
- Be passionate about providing support to internal customers.
- Be a thought leader in adopting the latest technology and support techniques.
- Build automation within software teams using scripting techniques, adoption of the latest technology and removal of manual processes in SDLC.
- Mentor development engineers on best practices in architecture, software engineering and automation to make their job fun.
- Ensure your team is following standard methodologies for development using Agile processes.
- Provide transparent roadmap to other senior managers and business leaders.
Additional responsibilities and skills required for this role:
- Drive the overall execution of strategy with hands-on leadership in design sessions, architectural choices, code versioning, code reviews, processes, quality reviews and deployments to ensure development standards are created and adhered to.
- Apply technical abilities to contribute to our overall architecture.
- Analyze and improve reliability, security, and performance of all technology applications, databases and infrastructure.
- Develop consumer-grade applications that can scale in a global environment and improve test coverage of existing codebases.
- Understands Agile artifacts and develop applications based upon business priority.
- Be accountable for overall health of applications and resolution of production issues to SLA.
- Drive a team culture of continuous development to empower your team with knowledge and opportunities to grow in their careers.
- Understand business needs and develop solutions that delight consumers and customers.
- Collaborate with project partners to ensure all requirements are met.
- Maintain positive relationships with end-user communities.
- Develop exemplary user experiences on desktop, web and mobile devices.
- Partner with your peers within the organization and build multi-functional alignment.
- Build and handle documentation in coordination with software development teams/vendors.
What you require for the role
- Extensive demonstrable experience of overall software development experience, managerial responsibilities and building systems in the cloud using modern CI/CD practices with Agile methodologies.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to build and execute innovative platforms, combined with tactical ability to execute simultaneously against multiple contending priorities
- Experience leading internal and external teams at the same time, working with multiple systems of varying maturities
- Experience leading evaluations to refactor or replace legacy systems, as well as developing and deploying solutions and processes to balance complex technology transitions and decisions
- Past participation in open source development in GitHub for Python or other frameworks
- Good knowledge of building infrastructure using Terraform with CI/CD of infrastructure and software
- Good knowledge of Unix scripting, Ansible, Docker, Docker Swarm;
- Experience with Kubernetes, and experience with or knowledge of Big Data technologies (Apache Spark, Kafka etc.), NoSQL and Graph databases ,would be a plus
- Experience with architecting applications (e.g. design patterns, distributed applications etc.) with the aim of reuse
- Experience building applications using microservices that are modular but highly cohesive
- Experience with best in breed code management and documentation practices using Git and preferably Azure devops
- Passion for automation and hunger for acceleration; keen knowledge of devops as well as RPA would be a big plus
- Demonstrated ability to partner and communicate effectively with non-technical team members, resolving contending or contradictory objectives, and unifying disparate ideas into a homogenized solution
- Ability to be versatile and prioritize/re-prioritize different projects
- Knowledge of software design patterns and standard methodologies
- Ability to influence others, implement change, and standardize processes in a complex business environment
- A passion for mentoring and growing the potential of others
- Professional attitude in user meetings dealing with business partners
- Ability to translate ideas into solutions based on user and business needs
- Insurance/Re-insurance experience would be an advantage.
Certification One or more of the following:
- Python – Advanced programming experience
- Cloud (Azure/Aws/GCP)
- DevOps practices
- Database certifications in SQL Server
- Agile SDLC
What you can expect from us
Join us, we will ask you to Be smart, Be sensible, Be open and, above all else, Be more—strive harder, reach further, never give up. These First Principles are the intellectual and moral compass of everyone at Hamilton. They shape the way we build our team, the way we work and the way we will prosper.
We’re committed to creating an inclusive workspace where all employees thrive. We embrace all backgrounds, perspectives, experiences and talents – without discrimination. Whatever differences set you apart, whether visible or invisible, you will be welcome at Hamilton.