We’re writing the future of risk.
Hamilton Insurance Group, Ltd. (“Hamilton”) is a Bermuda-headquartered company that underwrites specialty insurance and reinsurance risks on a global basis through its wholly-owned subsidiaries. Hamilton leverages analytics and research to create underwriting and investment value for its clients and shareholders.
We’re looking for a
Senior/Executive Underwriter, Small Business-Casualty
Based in Richmond, Virginia and reporting to the Small Business, Casualty Division Manager this newly created role will focus on difficult, unique, distressed, and hard-to-place General Liability and Products/Completed Operations exposures in a broad selection of industries from construction to OL&T risks. Target classes include a variety of general and trade contractors as well as premises-driven accounts. Our division is laser-focused on providing a rapid turnaround time, a broad risk appetite, and creative underwriting solutions.
What you will do
- Analyze wholesale broker submissions within underwriting appetite to rate, quote, & bind small business, casualty insurance coverage
- Active involvement in the marketing of Hamilton and our Small Business Casualty Division
- Originate, grow, and develop relationships with Agents & Brokers through a variety of communication channels
- Utilize critical thinking skills to successfully negotiate terms and conditions.
- Collaborate with the Casualty underwriting team, assisting when value can be provided
- Identifying appropriate opportunities consistent with risk appetite
- Creating, driving, and executing strategies for new and renewal accounts
- Positively impacting and influencing final account pricing and terms
- Driving accountability personally and with our business partners
- Assist in training and mentoring of new employees
- Monitor key performance metrics to ensure best-in-class operating effectiveness
- Maintain underwriting standards and discipline to ensure the delivery of profitable results
- Training and mentoring of underwriters and associate underwriters
What you require for the role
- An established underwriter with 5 or more years underwriting experience specializing in small account underwriting
- Strong technical knowledge of casualty exposures and coverage, with the ability to further develop themselves and assist in development of others
- Ability to attract business from existing relationships and to nurture and develop new relationships
- Appreciation of both the subjective and objective aspects to underwriting risk and a willingness to justify decision-making processes at the highest levels in the organization
- A broad understanding of market trends and nuances
- Proven ability to generate an underwriting profit
- Integrity in all internal and external relationships
- Pursuing or holding the CPCU or other common industry designation is desired
Other Personal Attributes
- Motivated, self-starter with an entrepreneurial mindset
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven decision-making skills
- Approachable and able to clearly market business
- Professional, insightful, and confident when managing varying stakeholders
- Able to work autonomously with strong organizational skills and the ability to plan ahead
- Keen attention to detail, highly analytical and excellent problem-solving capability
- Demonstrates an understanding and capacity to engage in the negotiation process effectively
- Disciplined, maintains a rigorous focus on executing the tasks and behaviors that drive our business forward
What you can expect from us
Join us, and we will ask you to Be smart, Be sensible, Be open and, above all else, Be more—strive harder, reach further, never give up. These First Principles are the intellectual and moral compass of everyone at Hamilton. They shape the way we build our team, the way we work and the way we will prosper.
We’re committed to creating an inclusive workspace where all employees thrive. We embrace all backgrounds, perspectives, experiences and talents – without discrimination. Whatever differences set you apart, whether visible or invisible, you will be welcome at Hamilton.