We’re writing the future of risk.
Hamilton Insurance Group, Ltd. (“Hamilton”) is a Bermuda-headquartered company that underwrites specialty insurance and reinsurance risks on a global basis through its wholly-owned subsidiaries. Hamilton leverages analytics and research to create underwriting and investment value for its clients and shareholders.
We’re looking for a
Head of General Casualty
A U.S. based role with a preference for candidates in Richmond, VA (or those willing to relocate to Richmond, VA), and reporting to the President of the U.S. subsidiary, the successful candidate will be a hands-on leader to guide the launch and development of the General Casualty underwriting division.
This newly created role will focus on Excess & Surplus (E&S) lines placements for General Liability, Products/Completed Operations, Liquor Liability, Employee Benefits Liability, Garagekeepers Legal Liability, Hired & Non-Owned Auto, and other coverages for small to medium-sized entities, with a particular focus on distressed & hard-to-place accounts, using Hamilton’s E&S platform (rated A- by A.M. Best). Target classes may include a mix of pharmaceuticals & Biotech products, medical devices and related products, nutraceuticals, human clinical trials, and various related life sciences products and services.
The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and managing relationships with wholesale brokers and other trading partners in the U.S. The Product Leader will demonstrate initiative in establishing and performing the ongoing review of our underwriting guidelines, rates and coverage forms and help build and lead a team of talented underwriters. An exceptional service delivery orientation is a must. This role will include occasional business travel.
What you will do
- Lead the launch of Hamilton’s General Casualty Division, including the development of underwriting guidelines, rates, coverage forms & endorsements, and applications for insurance
- Active involvement in the marketing of Hamilton and our Life Sciences Division while working to appoint new wholesale brokers and other trading partners
- Partner with the Technology team to pursue the design and ongoing improvement of Hamilton’s quote systems, data capture, and general use of information technology.
- Drive the general use of technology to produce superior profit and establish an ease-of-doing business reputation with our appointed trading partners
- Establish and monitor key performance metrics to ensure best-in-class operating effectiveness
- Collaborate with internal support functions to establish effective processes and procedures to maximize efficiency and accuracy in all of our operations
- Establish and maintain underwriting standards and discipline to ensure the delivery of profitable results
- Assist in the successful placement of targeted reinsurance in support of the General Casualty division
- Originate, grow and develop high-level market relationships with brokers
- Ensures team compliance with applicable letters of underwriting authority and compliance with applicable state rules and regulations
- Use critical thinking skills to negotiate terms
- Assist in training and mentoring of new employees
What you require for the role
- An established underwriter or manager with five or more years underwriting experience handling General Casualty lines
- Strong technical knowledge of General Casualty exposures and coverage, with the ability to further develop themselves and mentor the wider team as the book grows
- Understands, is comfortable with, and able to develop and lead a business strategy that focuses on writing smaller, niche lines
- Proven track record of generating new leads, applying sound judgement to a broad range of situations and opportunities, and building a substantial portfolio of business from a small base
- Ability to attract business from existing relationships and to nurture and develop new relationships
- Appreciation of both the subjective and objective aspects to underwriting risk and a willingness to justify decision-making processes at the highest levels in the organization
- A broad understanding of market trends and nuances
- Proven ability to generate an underwriting profit
- Integrity in all internal and external relationships
- A shared focus on expense management and managing the overall business operations to maximize shareholder returns
- Pursuing or holding the CPCU designation is desired
Other Personal Attributes
- Motivated, self-starter with an entrepreneurial mindset
- Ability to multi-task
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven decision-making skills
- Good management, coaching and mentoring skills
- Approachable and able to clearly market business
- Professional, insightful, and confident when managing varying stakeholders
- Able to work autonomously with strong organizational skills and the ability to plan ahead
- Keen attention to detail, highly analytical and excellent problem-solving capability
- Demonstrates an understanding and capacity to engage in the negotiation process effectively
- Dedicated and consistent
What you can expect from us
Join us, and we will ask you to Be smart, Be sensible, Be open and, above all else, Be more—strive harder, reach further, never give up. These First Principles are the intellectual and moral compass of everyone at Hamilton. They shape the way we build our team, the way we work and the way we will prosper.
We’re committed to creating an inclusive workspace where all employees thrive. We embrace all backgrounds, perspectives, experiences and talents – without discrimination. Whatever differences set you apart, whether visible or invisible, you will be welcome at Hamilton.